Friday, July 24, 2009

Darn you....Camelbak

Well...
Yesterdays run didn't go as well as I hoped. We had plans for dinner with our friends, so I headed out around 5:00pm. I decided to take my camelbak out with me because I could carry more water without have to carry bottles in my hands. I did my first two miles at a good pace (a little faster then the 9:30 pace). Felt good! Started my 5 x 1 min pick-ups (7:24 pace) followed by 4 mins (9:30 pace). Felt good! After finishing I was to run at a 9:30 and then finish up the last 2 miles at a 8:00 pace. I was hot! So I took some water from my camelbak. I first spit out the first 5 drinks hoping to get some colder water. Took at BIG drink...it didn't taste very good. Shortly my stomach started cramping up. I was about 2 miles away from home. So I did the death shuffle home. Ended up getting sick. It was the first time I've ever gotten sick running. I don't think that it was the heat...I'm assuming it was the water. I guess I didn't get it cleaned out properly. Today it is raining, so I don't have to worry about the heat. I will probably pass on the camelbak today (ha).

My question to you is:
What do you use for hydration on long runs? Carry bottles? Wear a hydration belt? Camelbak? I'm looking for some new ideas...because I've got more miles coming my way. Thanks for your help!
SEE YOU ON THE ROAD,
lucky7runner

6 comments:

  1. I have a camelback and hated it. Two reasons: Its heavy when you are carrying the amount of liquid in the pouch. Secondly, I have developed a huge blister on my back from carrying it. It was jiggling up and down sort of like a friction on my back. Whenever I am doing a long run, I tend to know where 7-11s are located as my pit stop. I also have amphiphod which is terrific. Its a bottle that you can strap around your hand and truly loves it.

    P.S. Are you seriously looking into 50 miles this week???

    ReplyDelete
  2. For longish runs I carry an Ultimate Direction bottle, for longer I'll carry two, beyond that, 20m+, I use a UD Wasp vest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when I thought no one reads my blog. THANK YOU Ted & Stuart for your posts! I will add your suggestions into my research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost forgot....YES I'm doing 50 miles this week. Every week with Team Point Two is an adventure. So far I have 27 miles to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty anal with this, any run over 6 miles when it's over 90 degrees or anything else 10 or more I take a hand held 22oz bottle. I've found them very easy to use. On long runs I've a belt with two bottles and the hand held. Sorry you got sick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just carry a water bottle (by hand) that on occasion needs to be refilled.

    ReplyDelete